About This Book
Essentials of Basic Mathematics is a book for those instructors that want a thorough coverage of basic mathematics without the introduction to algebra. Deleting the chapters on algebra allows us to offer the book at a lower price.
Getting Ready for the Next Section
These problems appear at the end of every problem set. They are the exact problems that students will see when they read through the next section of the text. Students who consistently work these problems will be much better prepared for class than students who don't work these problems.
Getting Ready for Class
Just before each problem set is a list of four questions under the heading Getting Ready for Class. These problems require written responses from students and are to be done before students come to class. The answers can be found by reading the preceeding section. These questions reinforce the importance of reading the section before coming to class.
Real-Data Application Problems
This book includes many new problems that use real-world applications for the mathematical subject, making the concepts easier to understand. Many times the charts and graphics in the text look like the types of charts and graphics students see in the media.
Beginning in Chapter 1 and then continuing through the rest of the book, students are introduced to descriptive statistics. In Chapter 1 we cover tables and bar charts, as well as mean, median, and mode. These topics are carried through the rest of the book. Along the way we add to the list of descriptive statistics by including scatter diagrams and line graphs.
Scattered throughout the book are exercises that demonstrate how graphing calculators, spreadsheets and computer graphing programs can be used to enhance the topics being covered.
Facts from Geometry
This feature gives students a chance to see how topics from geometry are related to the math they are using.
Additional Resources Available Online
Every example in the book is done in videos available online at MathTV.com. Students can choose from a variety of instructors — including the book's author — and see and hear the examples done in both English and Spanish.
XYZHomework.com is provided free of charge to teachers and students using XYZ Textbook-published books. The system provides teachers with an online gradebook and students with numerous dynamically generated problems.
If students have Internet access, they have access to their textbook. An online version of the textbook is available to students as part of their purchase.
In addition to an identical reproduction of their printed textbook, students also have access to additional resources such as Matched Problem sets, Multiple-choice questions and exercises where they must Find the Mistake.
Table of Contents
1 Whole Numbers
- 1.1 Place Value and Names for Numbers
- 1.2 Addition with Whole Numbers, and Perimeter
- 1.3 Rounding Numbers, Estimating Answers, and Displaying Information
- 1.4 Subtraction with Whole Numbers
- 1.5 Multiplication with Whole Numbers, and Area
- 1.6 Division with Whole Numbers
- 1.7 Exponents, Order of Operations, and Averages
- Chapter 1 Summary
- Chapter 1 Test
- 2.1 The Meaning and Properties of Fractions
- 2.2 Prime Numbers, Factors, and Reducing to Lowest Terms
- 2.3 Multiplication with Fractions, and the Area of a Triangle
- 2.4 Division with Fractions
- Chapter 2 Summary
- Chapter 2 Test
- 3.1 Addition and Subtraction with Fractions
- 3.2 Mixed-Number Notation
- 3.3 Multiplication and Division with Mixed Numbers
- 3.4 Addition and Subtraction with Mixed Numbers
- 3.5 Combinations of Operations and Complex Fractions
- Chapter 3 Summary
- Chapter 3 Test
- 4.1 Decimal Notation and Place Value
- 4.2 Addition and Subtraction with Decimals
- 4.3 Multiplication with Decimals
- 4.4 Division with Decimals
- 4.5 Fractions and Decimals
- 4.6 Square Roots and the Pythagorean Theorem
- Chapter 4 Summary
- Chapter 4 Test
- 5.1 Ratios
- 5.2 Rates and Unit Pricing
- 5.3 Solving Equations by Division
- 5.4 Proportions
- 5.5 Applications of Proportions
- 5.6 Similar Figures
- Chapter 5 Summary
- Chapter 5 Test
- 6.1 Percents, Decimals, and Fractions
- 6.2 Basic Percent Problems
- 6.3 General Applications of Percent
- 6.4 Sales Tax and Commission
- 6.5 Percent Increase or Decrease and Discount
- 6.6 Interest
- Chapter 6 Summary
- Chapter 6 Test
2 Fractions 1: Multiplication and Division
3 Fractions 2: Addition and Subtraction
5 Ratio and Proportion
Essentials of Basic Mathematics
Author: Charles P. McKeague
Publisher: XYZ Textbooks
Format: Paperback and eBook
Status: In Stock